April 9, 2011

LG GT540 Optimus - low end smartphone

This is something I personaly own now, got it as a gift, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised!
I didn't expect much from it, I tought it was just another Cookie, only with Android, but as it turned out, I was wrong!


GT540 Optimus



-Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G (with HSDPA) support
-3" resistive touchscreen of HVGA resolution
-Android OS v1.6 (now upgradeable to 2.1, Sept 2010)
-Accelerometer for auto screen rotate
-3 megapixel autofocus camera
-Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g and GPS receiver, digital compass
-Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP
-139 MB internal memory
-Hot-swappable microSD card slot (supporting card with capacity of up to 16GB)
-Standard microUSB port and Mass Storage mode
-DivX/XviD video support







It's very good, and as you see from specs above it has almost everything.
Since Google made Android, you need to create a Google account as most apps (Android Market, Gmail, GTalk) work over it obviously..
When I got it I immediately upgrade it to v2.1 so I do not know the difference between v1.6 and v2.1.
Media player is OK but I downloaded arcMedia program which can play most DiviX/Xvid formats and subtitles too! I was impressed.
 For navigation solutions search Android Market, you can find many good free programs there!
Skype works just fine (doesn't work on v1.6), but you should have solid data plan or use Wlan! It's shame it doesn't have secondary camera for video calls, would be much better!
Camera is rather good, 3MP with autofocus, face and blink detection, but don't expect much when sun goes down 'cause it doesn't have flash.
Internal memory is limited to 139 MB so you don't have much space left to download all your favorite apps, unless you "root it" (procedure in which you expand internal memory onto your memory card and they act as one). Haven't tried it yet, some say it's not safe so I'll satisfy with 139MB for now, its more than enough for me at least.
Web browsing is excellent (I'm using Opera), only thing missing is Flash support.
Battery is 1500mAh. If I'm playing games and using Wlan it lasts around one day. Normal usage, without Wlan and some internet browsing it lasts for 2 or 3 days which is OK.
 Touch experience isn't the best out there of course, but hey, what can you expect from a €200 smartphone! It is better than one on the N97(my coworker who owns N97 said that!).
Although it has resistive touchscreen, works pretty smooth when you get used to it.
It is quite fast thanks to the 600MHz processor, no lags whatsoever, only when I play Angry Birds,but thats not that important, right?
Important is that this device has almost everything you need (Wlan, GPS, Highspeed internet access) for a couple hundred euros. What more would you want?